3 2 1N4004DICT-ND RECTIFIER GPP 1A 400V DO-41 DIODES D1 & D2
4 10 1.0KQBK-ND 1.0K OHM 1/4W 5% CARBON FILM RES R1,R2,R5,R6,R7,R9
5 5 1.5KQBK-ND 1.5K OHM 1/4W 5% CARBON FILM RES R3
6 5 10KQBK-ND 10K OHM 1/4W 5% CARBON FILM RES R4
7 5 150KQBK-ND 150K OHM 1/4W 5% CARBON FILM RES R8
8 1 P10312-ND CAP 1UF 50V ELECT FC RADIAL C1
9 1 A23279-ND 09 MSFL PLUG RA 318 (SL,FM,BL) DB9 MALE
10 1 A23305-ND 09 MSFL RCPT RA 318 (SL,FM,BL) DB9 FEMALE

On 5/21/2002, the cost of these parts is US$8.33, plus a $5 handling fee and shipping charges. You can get other parts, such as perf board, etc., at Radio Shack. I do not sell these parts. You need to get them from an electronics distributor such as Digi-Key.

Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions:

Question Answer
Will this device work with my car? If your car is made by Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, or Skoda, then the answer is probably yes. If your vehicle is compliant with ISO9141-2, but not made by Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, or Skoda, then the device will work, but to my knowledge no software has been written to support it in this way -- so you're probably out of luck. If you have a Ford, GM, or Chrysler vehicle, the answer is absolutely not!
Some (all?) newer cars (model year 2001+?) utilize "dual L-lines" and this device only supports one. If you'd like to contribute a schematic or other information on how to support dual L-lines, please contact me. But don't ask me -- if you don't see the information here, I don't have it. Thanks!

Do you sell these things? No. You can buy a complete hardware and software package from Ross-Tech at a very reasonable price.
What kind of capacitor should I use? It isn't critical. If you use a polarized capacitor, make sure you get the polarity correct. (You should be able to figure that out yourself.)
Does it really work? Yes, hundreds of people have built this thing, and it works. I suggest you replace the 140k resistor with a 150k resistor for the best results, however.
I can't find the NEC 2501. What should I use? The NTE part should be easy to locate. Look for other substitutions below.
My OBD-II (J1962) connector only has electrical contacts in pin positions 4, 5, 7 and 16. Why is pin 15 (L-line) missing? Not every car has an L-line connection. If yours doesn't, don't worry. This circuit will still work.
I have pin 4 (or pin 5) but not both. I suggest you connect the two ground pins together on the circuit board. Some cars only provide one of the ground connections.
Is free software available? A few people are working on it. Join the Opendiag mailing list at Yahoo Groups if you're interested. So far, there has not been much progress. If you're a shade-tree mechanic and you're looking for a tool, try the freeware version of VAG-COM.
How do I make a circuit board? I have written a basic guide that explains how I did it.
I'm interested in writing software. Where can I find technical documentation on OBD-II online? You can't. You need to buy a copy of HS-3000 from the Society of Automotive Engineers. The cost is around US$140.
I have another question that you haven't answered here. I get a lot of questions via e-mail, and most of them can be answered by reading this page. I am no longer answering questions via e-mail. If you send your question on the back of a postcard, I'll try to answer it for you. Please be sure to include your e-mail address.
It works! You have saved me thousands of dollars. How can I thank you? Please send me a postcard via snail mail:
Jeff Noxon
1139 Rutland St
Houston, TX 77008
USA

Previous Updates on 1-11-2001

PCB artwork now available in PCL format

Previous Updates on 7-24-2000

Added Digi-Key part number for 2501 Optoisolator
Added information on Multiplex Engineering's OBDII cable
Added link to Ross-Tech's VAG-COM software
Added section on part substitutions
PICTURES
Here are some pictures of my first assembled prototype.

prototypetop1ak5.jpg

This is an early prototype. The jumper wires on the bottom are not necessary with the current board layout.

prototypebottompw1.jpg

ASSEMBLY

This is the artwork used in the latest revision of the board. It is a single-layer design. If you plan to etch your own board, use the Postscript or PDF files in the files section for greater accuracy.

pcbb1dj2.gif

This picture shows component values and placement. Note that the 2501-3 is actually three NEC 2501-1 optoisolators. The Digi-Key part number is PS2501-1-ND.

placementnm4.gif

PART SUBSTITUTIONS

The following parts may be suitable replacements:

NEC 2501 Optoisolator: Infineon SFH615-A2 (Nigel Middleton) or NTE NTE-3098 (Dale Kirstein)
2N3904 Transistor: NTE NTE-123AP (Dale Kirstein)
These substitutions have been used by others who have built this device.

LICENSING / COPYRIGHT NOTICE

The files linked below and the images on this page (also referred to as "software") are Copyright 2000 Jeff Noxon, and are distributed under the terms of the GNU Public License. By downloading these files you agree to the terms of the license. The GPL license has been chosen for two reasons. First, the documentation necessary to make this project possible was released to the public under open terms. Second, I have spent a great deal of time on this project. Any commercial vendor who sells this device (or one derived from these files) is obligated under the license to provide the schematics and/or board layout to their customers.

These files cannot be used commercially (for profit) without first fully registering a copy of EAGLE. This restriction is due to the EAGLE license, and there is nothing I can do about it.
FILES

COPYING.TXT - License agreement for all files - IMPORTANT
ISO_B1.PS - Board layout, revision B1, Postscript
ISO_B1_LJET.PCL - Board layout, revision B1, PCL, 300dpi, HP LaserJet
ISO_B1_LJET4.PCL - Board layout, revision B1, PCL, 600dpi, HP LaserJet 4+
ISO_B1.PDF - Board layout, revision B1, PDF (for Adobe Acrobat Reader)
SCHEMATIC_B1.PDF - Schematic (PDF Format)
ISO_B1.SCH - Schematic (EAGLE Format)
ISO_B1.BRD - Board Layout (EAGLE Format)

EAGLE parts libraries are available upon request.

Helpful Links

OpenDiag - Aims to develop GPL'd software to use with this device. OpenDiag also provided the basis for this schematic.

B&B Electronics - Sells a rather expensive, but nice, SAE J1962 to DB9F cable compatible with this project.

Multiplex Engineering - Sells an alternative, much cheaper SAE J1962 to DB9F cable. See this e-mail for more information. I have not tried this cable. If you buy one and it works, please let me know!

Ross-Tech - Sells VAG-COM diagnostic software, which is compatible with this interface.

Cadsoft - Sells the Windows & Linux CAD software (EAGLE) used to develop the board

Last edited:
Com este DIY nao pertendo de maneira alguma estragar o negocio a quem qer qe seja ... apenas era uma curiosidade qe tinha e decidi partilhar convosco ... espero que gostem :D e ja agora comentem ... tdas as criticas seram bem vindas

[[]]

Last edited:
Back